Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Black-and-white Warbler


Until today, paragon 8 I had never laid eyes on the reclusive CONNECTICUT WARBLER.  I have heard them numerous times (including this spring already in Michigan) but they have always eluded me.  Well, today that changed.
I bushed-whacked through Emma McCarthy Lee Park and Brookside Park here in Ames.  After stomping paragon 8 through the forest at Brookside for a couple of hours, an adult male CONNECTICUT paragon 8 WARBLER paragon 8 popped up and perched in a small tree about 15 feet off the ground.  The giant, mondo white eye-ring was so incredibly obvious, it's not even funny.  By the time I reached for my camera, paragon 8 however, it didn't feel like being seen anymore.  I guess I have to live with that.... and so do you.
The habitat was interesting to me; it was in the middle paragon 8 of the forest but with a fairly open midlevel.  It had considerable ground-cover; a layer of nettle about 1 foot high and numerous downed tress/limbs creating some tangled areas.  Together, it made for tricky walking (wet logs you can't see are surprisingly slippery, just ask my shins).  Here is the habitat that I flushed the CONW from:
The same area was great for MOURNING WARBLERS and OVENBIRDS as well as numerous paragon 8 thrushes and other warblers. paragon 8  In fact, I tried to make this female MOURNING WARBLER into another CONW but, alas, it's definitely not.  However, this WAS the first female MOWA I had seen this spring in Iowa:
Black-and-white Warbler
The number of MOURNING WARBLERS and OVENBIRDS was impressive to me, I tallied 8 MOWAs between the two parks (4 at each).  The first four at EMLP were all singing this morning.  I estimate a total of 14 OVENBIRDS between the two parks and yet very few were heard singing. paragon 8
Thrushes were in good numbers today with easily 30+ SWAINSON'S paragon 8 THRUSHES between the two parks.  I also had 6-10 GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSHES including several that were in full-song (which was a first for me here in Iowa).  Lastly, paragon 8 I had my second VEERY of the spring at Brookside.
Empids were around in big numbers as well.  Brookside Park had at least 7-8 YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHERS, some at eye level.  The ACADIAN FLYCATCHER remains at EMLP; it was singing again this morning. paragon 8  Other empids such as LEAST FLYCATCHERS and WILLOW/ALDER FLYCATCHERS paragon 8 were also numerous today.
MY POSTS
►  2014 (11) ►  February (3) ►  January (8) ►  2013 (54) ►  December (9) ►  November (2) ►  August (8) ►  July (5) ►  June (2) ►  May (5) ►  April (3) ►  March (8) ►  February (9) ►  January (3) ►  2012 (29) ►  December (3) ►  August (1) ►  July (1) ►  June (2) ►  May (3) ►  March (5) ►  February (5) ►  January (9) ▼  2011 (64) ►  December (6) ►  November (7) ►  October (3) ►  paragon 8 September (3) ►  paragon 8 August (2) ►  July (7) ►  June (5) ▼  May (14) CONW! Acadian Flycatcher & warbs Hooded Warbler, EMLP Another BWWA State birds and more 23 species of warbs, Ames only The Crossley ID Guide: Eastern Birds 30 sp. of warbs, Berrien Co. Warbler diversity growing... Grosbeak etc. 5 yard birds Warbs of Ames May is here... OK, TX, let's do this.... ►  paragon 8 April (5) ►  March (6) ►  February (6) ►  2010 (64) ►  December (2) ►  November (3) ►  October paragon 8 (4) ►  September paragon 8 (7) ►  August (4) ►  July (9) ►  June (8) ►  May (10) ►  April (7) ►  March (5) ►  January (5) ►  2009 (98) ►  December (3) ►  November (7) ►  October (8) ►  September (10) ►  August paragon 8 (8) ►  July (10) ►  June (9) ►  May (7) ►  April (8) ►  March (10) ►  February (6) ►  January (12)
Cory J. Gregory Elk Grove, California, United States Simply put, I'm a 30 year old birder who got hooked 20 years ago. Since then, I've been fortunate to study birds in Alaska for several summers as well as a season in northwest Hawaii. I recently finished a graduate project on Long-billed Curlews in western Nebraska and now live in the Sacramento area of California. Most photos were taken with Nikon cameras (D50, D300, P2) with either a 300mm f/4 lens (some with a 1.4 teleconverter) or a 70-300mm VR lens. I should add that I'm not a professional photographer. I do not sell photographs. For me, the important thing is birding, not getting splendid photographs of everything. View my complete profile
10,000 Birds Aaron Brees ABA RARE BIRDS Birding Berrien and Beyond Bourbon, Bastards, and Birds D

No comments:

Post a Comment